Baked buffalo cauliflower bites are my answer to wing night for our vegetarian daughter. I don’t particularly enjoy cooking two separate meals but I do it to make sure she is eating somewhat healthy. Otherwise, she grabs the quickest, easiest junk food. So when my husband and I are having our crispy baked chicken wings my daughter can have her vegetarian version. These buffalo cauliflower bites are crispy on the outside and just tender enough on the inside. The cauliflower doesn’t become mushy, there is still a slight crunch to it. I was surprised that I actually enjoy these faux wings as well.
How to make baked buffalo cauliflower bites
We have previously made these by cutting them smaller and without a batter. They were too soft and the buffalo sauce didn’t want to adhere to the cauliflower very well. So we decided to try a coating and they came out great.
Cut the cauliflower into about 2″ florets. (so they don’t get mushy soft while baking) Coat the florets in the batter mixture.
Place them on the rack and bake for 20 minutes. While they are baking make your sauce if not using the bottled kind.
Remove to a large mixing bowl and toss with the buffalo sauce. Place back on the rack, brush with the sauce remaining in the bowl. Cover any areas missed during tossing.
Bake for the final 10 minutes.
Serve with celery sticks, blue cheese or ranch dressing.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk (or regular milk)
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup Buffalo sauce
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a large baking sheet with foil. Place an oven-safe rack on top of the foil and spray generously with cooking spray.
- Prepare the batter for the cauliflower by combining the flour, buttermilk, garlic powder, kosher salt, & freshly ground black pepper. Whisk until smooth and thickened. Gently toss the cauliflower with the batter, being sure to coat the cauliflower thoroughly.
- Place the coated cauliflower onto the prepared rack, leave space between each one.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the cauliflower starts to brown slightly.
- When the cauliflower is ready, remove it from the oven and toss in a large bowl with the buffalo sauce. Place back on the wire rack, brush with the buffalo sauce remaining in the bowl. (coat spots that were missed)
- Put back in the oven for 10 more minutes until browned to your liking.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve these baked buffalo cauliflower bites with your choice of blue cheese dressing or ranch and celery.
More Delicious Recipes
Recipe inspired by OurLifeTastesGood