Blackened Fish Tacos
I decided to give fish tacos a try and came across this recipe. These tacos are amazingly delicious and fresh tasting. You won’t be disappointed with this Blackened Fish Taco recipe.
It takes a little prep work but it’s not too time consuming. I make the sauce the night before so when I come home from work all I have to do is the slaw and fish.
The avocado cream sauce is a MUST! In our house we don’t like straight sour cream so I used more mayo than sour cream to cut the taste a little.
The cabbage mix is easy to put together. I make it while the fish is cooking. I use prepackaged slaw mix.
Give this recipe a try. It will become part of your meal rotation.
- For the Blackened Fish:
- 1.5 lbs tilapia fillets
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- For the Slaw:
- ½ red cabbage, sliced thin
- ¼ green cabbage, sliced thin
- 3 or 4 green onions, diced
- ¾ cup cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- For the Avocado-Cilantro Sauce:
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayo
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and skinned
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno, chopped and seeded
- Salt, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the smoked paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano, onion powder, cumin, salt, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle the mixture over both sides of your tilapia fillets, and then rub the seasonings in.
- Combine all of the Avocado-Cilantro Sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender. Pulse until well-combined.
- Combine all of the Slaw ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Once heated, add in the tilapia (a few at a time if you can't fit them all at once). Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until the outside is blackened and the fish flakes apart easily.
- Remove the fish from the heat, and if desired, warm the corn tortillas in the same skillet over medium heat, cooking for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Break up the tilapia into 2-3" pieces. Distribute the fish evenly between the 6 sets of tortillas, and top with Slaw and Avocado-Cilantro Sauce.
Adapted from hostthetoast