Creamy Potato Soup
Thick, creamy and oh so delicious potato soup. The ultimate comfort food! A simple recipe with a load of flavor. This soup is made almost weekly in our home during the winter months.
I love the flavor and texture celery adds to this soup but if you are not a fan you may omit.
Top with shredded cheese, bacon and green onions then serve.
- 5 medium Potatoes, cooked and cut into cubes
- 6 Bacon slices, diced
- ½ medium Onion, chopped
- ½ cup all-purpose Flour
- 1½ cups Heavy cream
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dry Basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a dutch oven or heavy soup pot over med-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, remove with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with paper towels, leaving bacon grease in stockpot.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onions and celery. Cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the onions/celery and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in chicken stock, whisking constantly until smooth. Add potatoes, bring to a boil then simmer until potatoes are very soft (15-30 minutes, depending on size of potatoes).
- Using a potato masher or something similar, crush some of the potatoes to thicken soup, leaving some chunks. Add heavy cream, bring back to a simmer and cook for an additional 10 minutes until warmed through.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each as desired.
- Top with cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions before serving.
Adapted from jocooks