Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Creamy tomato basil soup is a cold weather must-have recipe. It’s unbelievably easy and so delicious. This recipe is a perfect weeknight meal. You will even have time to make grill cheese sandwiches to dip in the soup. In our house, a grill cheese sandwich is a must with tomato soup. Really! We won’t even consider eating tomato soup without one. Crazy, I know.
This recipe requires very few ingredients. Wash dry the basil, dice the shallot and press the garlic. Oh yeah, open the cans of tomato.
In a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot saute shallot until translucent, add garlic saute another 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes add the bay leaves and the half and half. Stir to combine and serve! That’s it, it’s that easy.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 large Shallot, diced
- 2 (28 oz) cans Crushed Tomatoes
- 1½ cup Chicken Stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- ½ Tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 Tsp Kosher Salt
- Several grinds of Pepper (to taste)
- 1 Cup Half and Half
- 12 - 15 large Fresh Basil leaves, chopped
- In a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute another 30 seconds.
- Add crushed tomatoes (juice and all), chicken stock, oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a low simmer. Cook uncovered, for 15 minutes or until it has thickened.
- Add the half and half, basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Delicious Soup Recipes