Spicy shrimp sushi stack is way easier to make than sushi rolls. So much so, that my daughter came to help in the kitchen. That doesn’t happen often. Oh, and let me tell you the about the two different sauces. A typical sriracha sauce PLUS a wasabi sauce. The two sauces together kick this simple shrimp sushi up another level.
The hardest part of this recipe is chopping the ingredients and mixing the sauces. Just start layering in your vessel of choice. A one cup metal measuring cup works best for us. First, lay the cucumbers flat sides down.
Spread a layer of the mashed avocado.
Layer the shrimp flat sides down.
Top with a layer of the sushi rice, lay a plate on top of the measuring cup and flip them over together. Tap lightly and you will see the rice starting to slide out of the cup.
Slowly lift the cup off of the stack, drizzle the sauces over the top, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve immediately.
This spicy shrimp sushi stack is going to be a regular monthly (maybe weekly) meal in our house. Just writing this post I’m craving them again!
- Wasabi Sauce:
- ¼ C Mayo
- 1 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- ½ tbsp Wasabi Paste
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- three dashes salt
- Sriracha Sauce:
- ½ C Mayo
- 3 tsp Sriracha
- 3 tsp Sweet Chili Sauce
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Shrimp stacks:
- 1⅓ cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 pound cooked shrimp, cleaned and diced into 1" pieces
- 1 cup diced cucumber (about 1 small)
- 1 medium avocado, mashed
- 4 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt. Allow the rice to cool.
- In a small bowl mix the ingredients for the wasabi sauce. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix the ingredients for the sriracha sauce. Set aside.
- Using a 1 cup dry measuring cup, layer cup cucumber, then avocado, then the shrimp, and about a ⅓ cup rice.
- Place the serving plate on top of the cup, carefully turn the cup and plate upside down to turn the stack out onto the plate, lightly tapping the bottom of the cup.
- Drizzle about 1 teaspoon of soy sauce over the top of the sushi, then drizzle the wasabi sauce and the sriracha sauce over the top of the sushi. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients and serve immediately.
Recipe inspired by TheGirlOnBloor