30 minute Swedish meatballs can be on the table in a jiffy. Great for a busy weeknight meal. Homemade meatballs smothered in a rich, creamy, flavor packed gravy. Serve over noodles or rice with a side salad and call it a meal. You can’t go wrong.
Mix the meatball ingredients, roll into balls and cook for 5-8 minutes. Remove to a plate and begin the sauce. Add butter to the pan, sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour in the beef broth while you whisk continuously, add the sour cream, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer, allow sauce to thicken to desired consistency, about 5-10 minutes.
Return the meatballs to the pan when the sauce has almost reached desired thickness and reheat for about 4-5 minutes.
- Meatball mixture:
- 1¼ pound ground beef
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- ⅓ cup plain bread crumbs
- ¼ cup buttermilk (or regular milk)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1¾ cup beef stock
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- Serve over buttered egg noodles or rice
- Mix the ground beef, onions, bread crumbs, buttermilk, egg, parsley, salt, pepper, nutmeg, allspice and garlic powder together until just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Shape into about 25-30 meatballs. (I use a 1½" cookie scoop.)
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Add the meatballs and cook turning continuously until brown on each side and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil.
- Add 3 tablespoons butter to skillet, once melted add the 2 tablespoons of flour, whisk and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in beef broth.
- Lower the heat and add the sour cream, whisk until incorporated.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and mustard and bring to a simmer until sauce starts to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the meatballs back to the skillet and simmer for another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice.
More Delicious Recipes
Recipe inspired by ArtandtheKitchen