Baked chicken chimichangas are easy and healthier to make at home. You are going to love this recipe. The slow cooker Mexican chicken is TO DIE FOR! It takes these baked chimichangas over the top.
Make the slow cooker Mexican chicken. Remove from the slow cooker and drain the excess liquid. (see all the liquid in this photo)
In the food processor blend the avocado cream sauce ingredients and refrigerate.
Lay out the tortilla, place a heaping 1/2 cup of shredded chicken in the middle, top it with the desired amount of cheese and fold up burrito style.
Place them on the rack and brush with melted butter on both sides. Bake for about 20 minutes.
Top with the avocado cream sauce and any additional toppings you desire.
Serve! Crispy, crunchy outside and juicy, tender, oh so flavorful Mexican shredded chicken inside.
- 1 Recipe Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- 6 burrito size tortillas
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter
- For the Avocado-Cilantro Sauce:
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayo
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and skinned
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt, to taste
- Optional Toppings
- sour cream
- Prepare Mexican Chicken according to recipe directions. Drain excess liquid from chicken.
- Prepare the avocado cilantro sauce by adding the sour cream, mayo, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, and salt to taste to the food processor and blend until smooth. Place in a separate bowl and set in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and add a baking rack on top. Prepare the chimichangas by adding a heaping ½ cup filling to each tortilla, top with the desired amount of cheese and roll up burrito style.
- Place chimichangas on the baking rack and brush both sides lightly with the melted butter.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until golden. Watch closely you don't want them to burn.
Recipe inspired by TheGirlWhoAteEverything