Blood Orange Granita
Blood orange granita is the perfect sweet, tangy and refreshing treat. This granita is a great palate cleanser or an after dinner dessert! Either way you are going to fall in love with this refreshing concoction. Blood oranges are in season from December through May, though the exact months vary depending on what type of blood orange you’re buying. So if you still have access to blood oranges in your area give this granita a try.
The color of these blood oranges is just amazing! This dish is super easy to make and requires only 3 ingredients. It’s impossible to mess up.
Juicing these blood oranges can be quite messy but so worth the clean up. Wear an apron, you will thank me later.
Zest one orange, then juice enough oranges to acquire 2 cups. Dissolve water and sugar, set aside to cool.
Combine sugar water, zest and orange juice. Pour into a pan and freeze. After an hour scrape with a fork and refreeze. Do this until no juice remains and crystals have formed.
This dessert is so simple, yet beautiful and elegant enough for a dinner party!
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups blood orange juice
- Zest of one blood orange
- Zest one orange.
- Juice the oranges.
- Stir the sugar into the water and heat on low until sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- Combine sugar water, zest and juice in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Freeze for an hour, scrape with a fork to form crystals and re freeze. Repeat until no juice remains and crystals have formed.
- Using your fork, scrape and fluff the pan and add ice crystals to a serving dish.