Broccoli Cheese Soup
One of my daughter’s favorite soups is Broccoli Cheese soup. Which meant I prepared this soup and had it waiting on her to return from a sleepover. Yes, I am that sucker parent.
This is a thick, creamy, cheesy, comforting soup from scratch. No cans here. It’s surprisingly quick and easy to prepare. And oh-so-delicious!
Chop the broccoli, shred the carrots, chop the onions and mince (press) the garlic.
Add the veggies to the broth and cook until they are tender.
Start your roux when the vegetables are almost done. Once you have cooked the flour taste out of the roux. Remove the bay leaf from the vegetable pot.
Then slowly add the broth from the vegetables to the roux. Whisking constantly.
Stir in the vegetables and then add the half and half. Add in the seasonings and simmer on low until warmed through and flavors come together.
Remove from the heat and add the cheese in batches.
So much better than the one you order at a restaurant.
- one bunch of Fresh Broccoli (a few cups of chopped tops)
- 2 cups Chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1½ cups of sharp cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping
- 1 cup of Shredded Carrots
- 1 small Onion (about ⅔ cup, chopped)
- 1 large clove of Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Half and Half, room temperature
- 3 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ⅛ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Dried Basil
- ⅛ tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Dice the onion small, mince the garlic, an shred the carrots.
- For the broccoli, chop ⅔ of it into tiny florets [just cut off as much stem as you can and it'll fall apart in the pot] and then take the remaining ⅓ and give it a rough chop so you have a few large pieces to add to the soup. (optional)
- Add your veggie broth to a pot on medium-high heat, add ⅔ of your broccoli [about 2 cups of florets] as well as your onion, garlic, carrots, and bay leaf. Simmer on medium, covered, for about 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Start your roux when the vegetables are almost done: In a large pot, melt 3 tablespoons of butter on medium heat. Once melted, slowly add 3 tablespoons of flour as you whisk constantly. Cook the roux about 2 minutes to remove the flour taste.
- Slowly pour the broth from your vegetables into the roux and whisk to incorporate.
- Remove the bay leaf from the vegetables. Next pour the vegetables into the roux/broth mixture and slowly stir in 1 cup of room temperature half and half.
- Turn the burner to very low heat.
- Season with the above herbs and spices.
- Add the cheese in small batches until all melted.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Blanch in boiling water or steam in your microwave. Add to the soup.
- Garnish with extra cheese, if desired.