Fresh and Creamy Broccoli Salad
Broccoli salad is a classic side dish that’s perfect for summer cookouts. This salad is so easy to throw together you will be making it all summer long. It’s not just for cookouts and potlucks. I don’t know about you but, every week I purchase fresh broccoli so it’s always available at my house. I was craving this salad and didn’t really think about sharing it with you guys until the last minute. That’s why there aren’t very many pictures. But I’m sure you guys can figure this very simple recipe out, right?
I used pumpkin seeds but I’ve also used sunflower seeds and/or sliced almonds. Your choice, make this broccoli salad to your taste. In our house, some don’t like raisins or dried cranberries in salads. So I omit the sweet things. Broccoli salad is healthy even if it has bacon and cheese, right?
Honestly, I can’t get enough of this salad. It’s crunchy, fresh and satisfying! It’s not just a side dish, I eat it as a meal too! If you don’t buy fresh broccoli on a regular basis be sure to put it on your list this week. A good cold broccoli salad during those hot summer days is sure to hit the spot without weighing you down.
- 1 pound fresh broccoli (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked bacon, chopped
- ½ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Combine broccoli, onion, cheese, bacon and pepitas in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl thoroughly combine mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix until evenly coated.
- Cover and refrigerate at least an hour before serving.