Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread
Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread is moist and cheesy with a spicy kick. It goes perfectly with any soup, stew or chili. Skip the box mix and make your own cornbread from scratch. It just as easy as the mix to prepare. Add some cheese and peppers and you won’t be able to resist this cornbread.
Prep your ingredients. Mix just until combined and bake. It’s pretty straight forward and simple.
Do not over mix. Pour into a greased 8×8 baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, slice and serve.
Cheesy, spicy cornbread is sure to please!
- 1-1/4 cups stone ground yellow cornmeal (medium grind)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos (minced)*
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chiles (drained)
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 8x8" baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, vegetable oil and honey together. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Add onion, jalapenos, green chiles, and cheese; fold into batter until mixed.
- Pour into baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.