Chocolate orange shortbread cookies melt in your mouth with their classic holiday flavor. Tender, buttery, orange flavored shortbread dipped in creamy decadent dark chocolate. Easy to make and perfect for cookie trays or gifting!
Chocolate Orange Shortbread Cookies
Whisk the flour and salt in a medium-size bowl, set aside. Cream together the butter and confectioners’ sugar. Add the orange zest and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
Press the dough into a ball, knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Roll the dough into a log about 12″ long and 2″ in diameter. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours. I chill mine overnight it really brings out the orange flavor.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the dough into 1/4″ pieces and place about 1″ apart on the baking sheet.
Bake the cookies until firm about 15-17 minutes. Cool completely. Melt the dark chocolate according to package instructions. Dip each cookie and place back on parchment paper to dry and set.
Store in an air-tight container or wrap for gift giving.
I dare you to eat just one! We failed this challenge in our house, sad but true.
Just look at all that orange zest studding these Chocolate Orange Shortbread Cookies…absolutely heavenly!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup confectioners' sugar
- orange zest from a medium orange (about 2 tablespoons)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2¼ cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 10oz pkg Ghiradelli Dark Melting Wafers (or chocolate of your choice)
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour and salt and set aside for later.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the butter and confectioners' sugar.
- Add the orange zest and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl when needed.
- Reduce the mixer speed to and add the flour, mix until just combined.
- Press the dough into a ball.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough until it is smooth.
- Roll the dough into a log about 12 inches long and 2 inches in diameter. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the dough into ¼ inch slices and place on the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake until firm 15-17 minutes.
- Cool completely on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Melt dark chocolate according to package instructions. Dip each cookie in dark chocolate, allowing excess to drip off and place on parchment paper to dry and set up.
More Delicious Recipes