Cranberry orange muffins are simply the best. A sweet buttery muffin filled with tart, juicy cranberries, orange zest, and an orange glaze. Fall is not just for pumpkin flavor. Although I’m a huge fan of pumpkin these muffins are wonderful. I just switched out the flavor profile of our blueberry muffin recipe, which we think is the most amazing muffin.
Cranberry Orange Muffins
This cranberry orange muffin recipe makes 12 large muffins. I like to use jumbo muffin liners. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, whisk the sugar and eggs until thick and pale. Slowly whisk in the butter and oil until combined. Then add the buttermilk, vanilla and orange zest. Toss the cranberries with the dry mix. Combine the wet with the dry and gently fold just until combined.
Fill the muffin cups, mounding slightly, gently press the remaining cranberries into the top of each muffin. Bake for 16-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow cooling while you prepare the glaze. Whisk the glaze ingredients together and drizzle over the top of the muffins.
If you drizzle with the glaze while the muffins are really hot it will just melt completely. Let them cool to the touch.
Serve these simply delightful Cranberry Orange Muffins for breakfast and enjoy!
- 2½ cups. all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & cooled slightly
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- zest of 1 medium orange
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen cranberries, divided
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- zest ½ medium orange
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a standard muffin tin with baking spray or line with paper liners.
- For the muffins:
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk 1 cup of sugar and 2 eggs until thick and pale. Slowly whisk in the vegetable oil and melted butter, until combined.
- Add the buttermilk, vanilla, and orange zest mix until combined. Toss 1¼ cup fo cranberries in the dry mix.
- Gently fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture just until combined. (careful to not over mix, it will be lumpy with some dry flour spots).
- Using ice cream scoop divide the batter among 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 16-18 min.
- Let muffins cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Whisk the glaze ingredients together and drizzle over the top of the muffins.
Amount per serving
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9.4g 12%
Saturated Fat 3.1g 16%
Cholesterol 42mg 14%
Sodium 228mg 10%
Total Carbohydrate 35.6g 13%
Dietary Fiber 1.2g 4%
Total Sugars 29.2g
Vitamin D 3mcg 15%
Calcium 52mg 4%
Iron 1mg 3%
Potassium 140mg 3%
*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.
More Delicious Recipes
Recipe slightly adapted from Cook’s Illustrated