Dark chocolate peppermint bark is one of the easiest Christmas treats to make. Share with friends, neighbors, co-workers, and family. Homemade gifts are always the best, right? An incredibly simple traditional treat made in minutes.
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark
Crush the candy canes in a plastic zip-top bag, set aside. Prepare a sheet pan with a wax paper liner, leaving enough paper on the edges to lift the bark after it’s set. Microwave the dark chocolate chips with 1 teaspoon of canola oil, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Add the peppermint extract, stir to combine and pour out onto the wax paper. Spread with a spatula to your desired thickness, I like it thinner. Mine was about 10″x7″. Place in the freezer for about 3 minutes, until set.
Repeat the microwave process with the white chocolate chips and canola oil. Add the peppermint extract, stir and pour on top of the dark chocolate, spreading to the edges. Top with the crushed candy canes and freeze again until set.
It will separate if it’s too cold. So if you left it too long in the freezer allow it to sit out for a bit. Break the dark chocolate peppermint bark into pieces. Store in an air-tight container or place in gift containers to share. It’s that crazy easy! You almost can’t call it a recipe.
No fuss, no muss Christmas treat!
I highly recommend using good quality chocolate for this peppermint bark. It makes a difference.
- Place waxed paper in a baking sheet pan.
- Add dark chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon canola oil to a medium glass microwave safe bowl. Heat in microwave for about 1 minute. If not melted, heat in 30-second increments until it is melted. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth. Add 1 teaspoon peppermint extract to melted dark chocolate and stir until well-combined.
- Pour chocolate into the prepared sheet pan and place in the freezer until set, about 3 minutes.
- Repeat the same process with the white chocolate chips. Once melted and smooth add the remaining 1 teaspoon peppermint extract and stir. Remove the sheet pan from freezer and spread white chocolate over dark chocolate.
- Sprinkle crushed peppermint candies over white chocolate and return to the freezer until firm, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from freezer. Break peppermint bark into pieces.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Amount per serving
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18.1g 23%
Saturated Fat 10.6g 53%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 54mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 46.1g 17%
Dietary Fiber 3.2g 11%
Total Sugars 36.7g
Vitamin D 0mcg 0%
Calcium 84mg 6%
Iron 2mg 8%
Potassium 136mg 3%
*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.
More Delicious Recipes
Recipe inspired by MyKitchenCraze