Easy pumpkin cake with cream cheese filling will be a show stopper during Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Simple to make using a spice cake mix with a spiced cream cheese and whipped cream filling. I call this a filling and not a frosting because it’s not the typical cream cheese frosting. It’s lightly sweet with a touch of pumpkin spice. Topped with nutty toasted pecans and drizzled with caramel.
Easy Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Filling
Mix the spice cake mix with the pumpkin, milk, oil, eggs and pumpkin pie spice. Bake in 2 round 9″ cake pans. Remove and let cool completely before frosting. Beat the cream cheese until creamy. Add the powdered sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Gently fold in the whipped topping. You can make your own whipped cream if you like. But why not go the easy route during those crazy busy holidays.
Spread half the topping on the first layer, top with the other layer and spread remaining filling.
Sprinkle the toasted pecans over the top and drizzle with the caramel topping just before serving.
The best pumpkin cake layered with spiced whipped cream cheese filling topped with toasted pecans and caramel. You can’t go wrong with this heavenly Thanksgiving or Christmas dessert!
- 1 boxed spice cake mix
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 8 oz tub whipped topping, thawed
- ¼ cup caramel ice cream topping
- ½ cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare 2 round 9" cake pans with baking spray or butter and flour.
- Mix spice cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, milk, oil, eggs and ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice in large bowl with mixer until blended. Divide the batter evenly into the cake pans.
- Bake 28 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese in medium bowl with mixer until creamy. Add powdered sugar, remaining ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice; mix well. Gently fold in the whipped topping.
- Place the first layer on a serving plate, spread half of the cream cheese mixture on the first layer. Place top layer on and spread remaining half of the cream cheese mixture on top. Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the top and drizzle with caramel topping just before serving.
More Delicious Recipes
Recipe inspired by KraftRecipes