Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream
My daughter requested strawberry cupcakes for her birthday this year. Of course, I’m going to do my level best to make it happen for her! This recipe has the perfect fresh strawberry flavor. Light, fluffy cupcakes and the MOST amazing strawberry buttercream icing. I wanted these cupcakes to be all from scratch, no jello here please.
Puree the strawberries and finely chop another 1/4 cup of strawberries.
Mix the batter. I didn’t add any food coloring but if you want them more pink you can certainly use some. The batter was pink enough for me.
Fill the cupcake pan and bake.
While the cupcakes cool whip up the buttercream icing. Once the icing is done put it in a piping bag and decorate away. That’s the fun part, right?
- 1 ½ Cups White Sugar
- ½ Cup Butter softened (1 stick)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Milk
- ½ Cup Strawberry Puree
- ¼ Cup Chopped & Smashed Strawberries
- 3-4 Drops of Red Food Coloring (Optional)
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp strawberry puree
- ½ cup unsalted butter, almost room temperature
- ¼ cup salted butter, almost room temperature
- 2½ - 2¾ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Combine Strawberry Puree Butter & Sugar.
- Slowly add in Eggs and Vanilla (Add food coloring if desired)
- Whisk dry Ingredients together and add into Sugar Mixture
- Slowly add milk and stir gently
- Slowly stir in smashed strawberries
- Pour batter into a Cake Pan or Cupcake Pan and bake a cake for 40 Minutes on 350 degrees, or cupcakes for 20 Minutes on 350 degrees.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Add ½ cup + 2 Tbsp strawberry puree to a small saucepan.
- Heat mixture over medium-low heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally until reduced by about ⅔ to 3 Tbsp, about 10 - 14 minutes (measure and if it isn't quite 3 Tbsp then return and continue to simmer, if it's not reduced to correct amount it will make frosting runny).
- Pour reduced puree into a small bowl, then refrigerate until cool
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip unsalted and salted butter until very pale and fluffy (nearly white. Stop and scrape down bowl occasionally throughout entire mixing process).
- Mix in 1 cup powdered sugar, then blend in 3 Tbsp reduced strawberry puree, vanilla extract, and optional red food coloring.
- Add remaining 1½ cups powdered sugar and continue to mix until frosting is pale and fluffy, adding in an additional ¼ cup powdered sugar if needed to reach desired consistency.