Homemade five bean salad is a classic side dish that’s perfect for picnics, barbecues or any meal. A combination of five different colorful beans tossed with a tangy oil and apple cider vinegar dressing. Fresh, slightly sweet, tangy, healthy and flavorful. The temps here have already reached 90º, which puts us in the mood for lighter meals. More salad recipes to come!
Homemade Five Bean Salad
This homemade five bean salad is easy and quick to make. Blanch the fresh green beans, drain and rinse the canned beans. Mix the dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
Place all the beans, celery, shallots and the parsley in a large mixing bowl. Give the dressing jar a good shake for at least 20-30 seconds. Pour the dressing over the beans and gently toss until well combined. Cover the bowl with plastic, or transfer to a container with a lid and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Remove and serve this gorgeous homemade five bean salad with our smoked pork butt.
- 10-12 ounces fresh green beans
- 1 (15oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 (15oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 (15oz) can golden wax beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 medium shallot, diced small
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley, minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper, more to taste
- 2 teaspoons stone ground Dijon mustard ( or regular Dijon)
- Snap the green beans into about 1-1½" pieces.
- Set a large pot of water on the stove over high heat.
- When water comes to a vigorous boil, pour in 1 teaspoon of salt and add the green beans. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes at most, pulling off the heat as soon as the green beans are crisp-tender.
- While the beans are cooking, fill a large bowl about halfway with water and then fill with ice.
- Quickly drain the green beans and transfer to the bowl of ice water. Allow the green beans to soak in ice water bath for a few minutes. Transfer green beans to a colander and drain well.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Cover tightly and shake for 30 seconds.
- Combine all the beans, celery, parsley, and onion in a large mixing bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Sprinkle salad with remaining parsley and toss again.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container with a lid and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to overnight. Toss the beans a few times during the marinating process to make sure all the ingredients get a good soak in the dressing.
- When ready to serve, taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
More Delicious Recipes
Recipe inspired by LittleDairyOnThePrairie