Homemade Pizza Dough
I never knew how easy it is to make homemade pizza dough. This recipe was really simple and tastes incredible. We kept it simple and made a pepperoni pizza. But we have made it several times before and we just used pesto, artichokes and mozzarella. It’s been my go to homemade pizza dough recipe and we haven’t ordered out since.
You allow the yeast, water and sugar to sit for about 10 minutes until it becomes bubbly.
Next you add the salt, olive oil and half of the flour. Mix until combined. Slowly add the remaining flour until the dough becomes slightly tacky but doesn’t stick to your finger when touched and pulled away. Then knead for 6 minutes. (I use set the timer on my stand mixer)
Lightly grease a bowl, turn the dough over in the bowl to coat. Let rise 1 to 2 hours. Mine took about 45 minutes.
Shape the dough and add what ever toppings you like. We used jar pizza sauce, pepperoni and mozzarella. Shaping the dough into a round took some practice, but I think I have it down now. (not too bad, right?)
Bake at 500 degrees for 9 to 12 minutes. Friday night pizza is done!
Yield: 2 – 12″ pizza crusts; about 1 lb. of dough
- 1 cup warm water
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 3 cups bread flour (give or take ½ cup...depending on the humidity)
- In mixing bowl of a stand mixer, stir yeast and sugar into warm water.
- Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes or until bubbles form and mixture starts to foam. This tells you that the yeast is alive and kicking.
- Pour in salt, oil and half the flour and mix.
- Once that flour is incorporated, start adding flour in a little at a time until you get the pizza dough to the consistency you want.(slightly tacky, but when you touch it it doesn't stick to your hands)
- Once you reach this stage, knead for 6 minutes.
- The dough should be smooth and easy to work with. And the bowl should be clean!
- (This is the point when you could freeze your dough. Divide into portions, place into freezer bags, seal removing all air and freeze. To use, remove from freezer and let sit out to get to room temperature and double in size; 6-8 hours. Then use as you'd like.}
- Lightly grease the bowl & the dough so it doesn't dry out, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees with pizza stone or upside down sheet pan inside.
- Spread pizza dough out into a 12-inch circle on parchment paper for ease of transfer to the stone or sheet pan.
- Place your toppings on the dough and bake for 9 to 12 minutes.
Recipe from laurenslatest