Homemade roasted tomatillo salsa (salsa verde) is just like your favorite restaurant’s, if not better! Easy, fresh, bright, delicious and so much better than the over salted store-bought kind. Mexican salsa verde can be a chip dip or used in so many other recipes. Top everything from tacos, burritos, enchiladas, casseroles, etc.
Homemade Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
Peel the husk off the tomatillos, wash thoroughly. Tomatillos will have a sticky film on them that needs to be removed.
Chop the 1/2 onion into quarters, smash the garlic cloves. Place the onions, garlic, tomatillos and jalapenos on a baking sheet. Roast at 400º for 15 to 20 minutes.
Chop the onions and jalapenos into smaller pieces.Toss the roasted ingredients, cilantro, salt, and lime juice into the food processor or blender. Process until the desired consistency.
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed & washed
- 1 - 3 jalapeños
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ medium-large onion
- ⅔ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Juice of ½ lime
- Chop the onion in half, crush the garlic, and leave the jalapeños and tomatillos whole. Roast on a baking sheet in a 400-degrees F oven for about 15 minutes, turning all halfway over through roasting time.
- Peel the garlic, deseed and rough chop the jalapeño, and peel and rough chop the onion.
- In a food processor, add all roasted ingredients, plus cilantro and salt and pulse until all ingredients are chopped and desired consistency is reached.
More Delicious Recipes
Recipe inspired by TasteandTellBlog