Italian Love Cake
Italian Love Cake is a recipe I found on Pinterest and fell in love. This cake is simple to make and is a real crowd pleaser. That is if you can make it past your own front door with the cake in hand. My husband LOVES this cake and it’s not easy to ask him to share. I don’t know why it’s called Italian Love Cake but we will just go with it…ok?
This cake switches layers while it bakes. What’s also great is it’s way better after it sets for several hours, overnight is best. So make it for a family gathering.
You make a box chocolate cake mix with the ingredients requested on the box, pour it into the pan. Then mix up the ricotta cheese mixture and spread it as evenly as possible over the chocolate cake batter. It switches layers as it bakes.
Once the cake cools completely, this part takes a long while. Mix up the topping ingredients and spread over the cake.
Refrigerate for at least 6 hours (overnight is best) and serve! Everyone will love this moist, light and delicious cake. I’m thinking I might try a different flavor cake mix next time. I’ll let you know how that works out.
- 1 package chocolate cake mix, and the ingredients needed to make the cake according to the package
- 2 lbs. ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 (5.1 oz.) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup cold milk
- 8 oz. Cool Whip
- Preheat your oven to 350*F and spray a 9x13 inch pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, with a hand mixer, mix together your cake mix according to the directions on the box. Set aside.
- In another bowl, using the hand mixer, beat together the ricotta cheese, eggs, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking dish. Spread to fill the pan evenly. Once the cake batter is in place, carefully pour the cheese mixture evenly over the top of the cake batter. Spread to cover the cake batter as best as you can.
- Bake the cake at 350* for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Once the cake is cool, stir the pudding mix and milk together with a whisk until combined. Carefully, fold the Cool Whip into the pudding until combined.
- Spread the pudding mixture over the top of the cooled cake. Cover the cake and refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving. I let it refrigerate overnight, it tastes even better the next day.
Recipe from chewnibblenosh