Oh my, are these pecan pie bars sublime! WARNING before you read any further they are highly addictive. I dare you to eat just one and walk away. A yummy shortbread crust topped with a buttery, nutty pecan pie layer! I don’t think I can even convey how delicious they taste.
Skip the pecan pie this year and make these easy delectable pecan pie bars.
Pecan Pie Bars
My sister-in-law introduced these sinful treats to us a few years ago. I just had to share this recipe with you all.
Preheat the oven to 350º. Prepare a 9×13 baking pan with a parchment sling.
In a food processor combine the confectioners’ sugar, flour and salt together give it a few pulses to blend. Gradually add the 16 tablespoons of butter and vanilla, giving it a few pulses. Mix just until combined. Pat the crust ingredients in the baking pan and bake for 25 minutes. Cool on a rack while preparing the pecan layer.
In a medium-size heavy-bottomed saucepan add the 11 tablespoons of butter, honey, cream, orange zest, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. Melt until the sugar is dissolved, stir in the pecans. Spread evenly over the crust and bake for another 25 minutes.
Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before slicing into serving squares.
Buttery shortbread crust makes this pecan pie bar way better than the traditional pie, I think. But I’m a huge shortbread fan. Pecan pie transformed into finger food, now that’s dangerous.
- ⅔ cups confectioners sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 11 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- ½ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, finely grated
- pinch of kosher salt
- 4 cups pecans, chopped coarsely
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or prepare a 9×13 baking pan with a parchment paper sling.
- For the crust, pulse the confectioners' sugar, flour, and salt together in a food processor. Gradually add 16 tablespoons of the softened butter and vanilla extract using pulse mode. Mix until just combined. Don't over process it will make the crust tough.
- Pat the crust into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- For the pecan pie layer, melt the 11 tablespoons of butter, honey, cream, orange zest, and brown sugar together until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in pecans.
- Spread over prepared crust.
- Return to oven and bake for 25 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
More Delicious Recipes
Recipe from The Local Palate