Red Velvet Cupcakes
These red velvet cupcakes are AWESOME! My husband said they were better than our local bakery. Now that’s a compliment. Give this recipe a try and you won’t be disappointed. Super moist, soft crumb and cream cheese icing! You MUST make these right now!
Sift together the dry ingredients.
Beat the wet ingredients together.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined.
Whip up the icing and frost your cupcakes!
I dare you to just eat ONE!
Yields 24 cupcakes
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 Tbs red food coloring (I only used 2 Tbs, that was all I had)
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbs unsalted butter, softened (1/2 stick)
- 1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3¾ to 4½ cups powdered sugar (this depends on how thick you prefer the frosting)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line two 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake papers.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- In a large bowl gently beat the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with a handheld mixer.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake papers, about ⅔ full.
- Bake in oven 20 to 22 minutes.
- Remove from oven and test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- Beat the butter and cream cheese together. Add powdered sugar a cup at a time and vanilla.
Recipe from GirlsinAprons