Sausage , Potato and Kale Soup
This Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup recipe is really quick, easy, and budget friendly. I purchased everything for the recipe from Aldi’s. It’s spicy, creamy and hearty.
Heat oil in large dutch oven or pot and brown the Italian sausage. Add onions, garlic and spices cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the broth and bay leaf.
Bring to a boil and add the potatoes.
I used baby kale. You can use any kale you like or even spinach.
The spice level is up to you. I used mild sausage and added a 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
Stir in the kale until it begins to wilt then add the cream.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound red potatoes, diced
- 3 cups baby kale
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic, onion, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in chicken broth and bay leaf, and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale until it begins to wilt, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream until heated through, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Slightly adapted from damndelicious