Savory Carrot Salad
Savory carrot salad is a great addition to any meal but it’s perfect with a BBQ. I don’t particularly like sweet carrot salads, you know the ones with raisins, and neither does my daughter. As a matter of fact she doesn’t like raisins at all. So I try to avoid using them in our recipes. I wanted something different for our side dishes to go with our barbecued chicken and this was perfect. Even the husband ate it and sang my praises. He is not a vegetable person. Don’t even try to get him to eat a brussel sprout, it will NOT happen. My daughter on the other hand absolutely LOVES roasted brussel sprouts. I know, I’m just as surprised as you, but she has never been a picky eater.
If you have a food processor you can whip this dish up in about 10 minutes. It’s that easy and you probably already have all the ingredients in your kitchen. Just grate the carrots in the food processor, transfer to a bowl, mix the dressing ingredients in a separate small bowl. Chop the parsley, toss it in with the carrots and pour the dressing over and mix thoroughly.
Voila! Your side dish or lunch salad is done. Refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes. If you make this recipe ahead of time check the seasoning before serving. You can add more dressing ingredients if you like. A hit of more lemon juice, salt or pepper. Just don’t overdress. It should not be swimming in the dressing, just coated.
- 1 pound carrots, peeled
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one lemon
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons honey (depends on the sweetness of the carrots)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 finely sliced green onions
- Grate the carrots in a food processor and transfer to a salad bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the dijon mustard, lemon juice, honey, vegetable oil, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the carrot mixture and toss well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.