Savory parmesan rosemary shortbread is tender, buttery, and exploding with cheesy herb flavor. Fresh rosemary, parmesan cheese and loads of fresh cracked black pepper make this the perfect cocktail appetizer or just as a snack. We couldn’t keep our hands out of the jar, even if we weren’t holding a cocktail in the other hand.
Unfortunately, this shortbread is super easy to prepare. Beat the butter until creamy. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until it comes together in a ball. Roll into a 10″ log and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate for several hours. We refrigerate overnight, the flavor is much better.
I have probably said this before but I can’t cut a straight line or roll anything into a perfectly beautiful circle. So be better than me. Remove from the fridge and slice into 1/4″ – 1/2″ rounds.
Bake at 350º for about 20 minutes. Baking time will depend on the thickness of the rounds.
Savory Parmesan Rosemary shortbread just melts in your mouth. Highly addictive, you’ve been warned!
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups freshly grated parmesan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Using the paddle attachment on a stand mixer, beat the butter until creamy.
- Scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the parmesan cheese, flour, salt, rosemary, and pepper. Beat until it comes together into a ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. (a few loose crumbs remain)
- Turn the dough out onto a large sheet of plastic wrap, knead it a few times until smooth ball forms without any major cracks, and roll it into a 10-inch log. **See notes**
- Wrap the log tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 30 minutes, or until firm. We like to refrigerate the dough overnight. The flavors are so much better.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Slice the log into roughly ¼- to ½-inch pieces (make sure they're all the same thickness). Place the dough slices about an inch apart on the half-sheet pan and bake for 16 to 22 minutes (depending on their thickness), or until firm and golden brown.
Cocktails To Try