Shrimp Po’ Boy
My all time FAVORITE sandwich is the shrimp po’ boy! Our favorite restaurant in town is cajun and I always order the fried shrimp po’ boy. I mean always. I have absolutely never ordered any other entree. If someone else at the table orders something different I try it but refuse to order different for myself. Do you have a restaurant favorite entree? Somewhere you refuse to order anything but your go-to dish?
Actually if we go to another restaurant that also serves fried shrimp po’ boys that’s what I usually order too. Unless I feel like the place couldn’t measure up. Which is usually the case.
This dish was another we tried in our new, ever dreaded deep dryer. I have to confess and say this shrimp po’ boy was better than our favorite restaurant’s sandwich. Ok, I said it. I can’t believe I just admitted that to you.
Simple and quick to prepare plus absolutely mouth watering. How can you go wrong? Prepare the sauce and refrigerate while preparing the shrimp and toppings.
Peel, devein and rinse the shrimp. Mix buttermilk and creole seasoning in a bowl, add the shrimp and set aside. Mix the cornmeal, flour, creole seasoning and pepper in another bowl.
Remove a few shrimp from the buttermilk, toss in the dry mixture and shake off excess. Do this in batches until all the shrimp is coated.
Deep fry the shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Assemble the po’ boys. Top with lettuce, tomato and prepared creole sauce.
I promise this is one of the best shrimp po’ boy sandwiches you will ever eat. Really, I swear on this one! We are still talking about them and are planning another Deep Fry Fest.
- 1 c. Mayonnaise
- ⅔ c. Ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. Horseradish sauce
- ½ Tbsp. to 1 Tbsp. Creole seasoning (depending on how spicy you like it)
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1 pound Shrimp (we used large)
- 1 c Buttermilk
- 2 tsp. Creole Seasoning
- 1 c Cornmeal
- 1 c Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 1 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- French bread (or hoagies)
- Lettuce, shredded
- Tomatoes, Sliced
- Above creole sauce
- Preheat oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 350 degrees.
- Rinse, peel, devein shrimp. (remove tail)
- Mix buttermilk with 2 tsp creole seasoning in a medium bowl, add shrimp.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, 1 Tbsp creole seasoning and black pepper in a large bowl.
- Working in batches, remove the shrimp from the buttermilk and transfer them to the dry mixture. Dredge to coat, shake to remove any excess.
- Cook the shrimp in small batches in the oil until golden brown and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Assemble po' boys as desired.
Sauce recipe from favfamilyrecipes