Smothered Pork Chops and Potatoes
Pork chops and potatoes smothered in a creamy cheesy sauce makes for great comfort food. I have tried several recipes for baked pork chops and scalloped potatoes. I always seemed to end up with dry chops. So I layered them in the center. Voila! The chops are so tender and juicy you don’t even need a knife.
Season the chops with salt and pepper, brown in a skillet. Remove the chops, set aside and add the onions to the pan. Saute until just tender. Prepare a 9×13 casserole dish with olive oil spray, spread a thin layer of onions, then 1/2 of the potatoes, then half of the cheese. Place the pork chops on top.
Whisk together in a separate bowl the soup, milk, cream, parsley, salt and pepper. Spoon about 2 tablespoons or more of the mixture over each chop. Layer the remaining potatoes over the pork chops. Pour the remaining soup mixture evenly over the top layer of potatoes making sure it pours into the spaces between the potatoes. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
Remove the foil, sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and bake for another 30 minutes.
Allow to rest 10-15 minutes and serve.
- 4 - 6 pork chops
- 4 - 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (10.5 oz.) cream of mushroom with roasted garlic soup
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1½ cup sharp cheddar, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, season the chops with salt and pepper. Brown both sides of the pork chops. Remove and set aside. Add onions to the skillet and saute about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the soup, milk, cream, dried parsley, salt and pepper.
- Prepare a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread half of the onions on the bottom, layer ½ of the potatoes over the onions, salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle ½ of the cheese over the potatoes.
- Place chops on top and spoon about 2 tablespoons of sauce over each chop. Place remaining onions and potatoes over the pork chops.
- Pour remaining sauce evenly over the potatoes making sure some of the mixture seeps down through the cracks.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove foil, sprinkle remaining cheese and bake another 30 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes and serve.