Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies
Make the dough one day before you are ready to bake and decorate. It needs to refrigerate overnight. The next day, flour your board, roll out the dough and cut with the cookie cutter of your choice. I used two different size heart cookie cutters for ours.
Mix up the frosting and choose your colors. Allow the cookies to cool completely, then frost as desired. The shortening added in this frosting helps it to develop a slightly firmer crust once set.
Enjoy! My husband and daughter raved about these soft frosted sugar cookies. They have already requested I make them again.
- 1 cup unsalted butter - softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons shortening (optional - helps develop that harder crust)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2½ - 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- food coloring to color frosting (optional)
- candy sprinkles to decorate (optional)
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add sour cream, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk the dry ingredients together, then add to the creamed mixture. The dough will be sticky. Cover, and chill dough overnight.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to ¼ inch thickness and cut into desired shapes.
- Place cookie sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Do NOT over-bake! Remove the cookies from the oven just before the edges turn golden. Allow cookies to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting: Cream butter in a stand mixer or using your hand mixer for 3 minutes. Add salt, vanilla then slowly add 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time then add the remainder of powdered sugar until desired consistency and taste is reached (you may not need it all) and continue to beat until smooth.
More Delicious Recipes
Recipe adapted from YourHomeBasedMom