Southern Green Beans and Potatoes
This southern green beans and potatoes recipe can be served as a side dish or main meal. We usually have it as a meal. There is really no way to go wrong with this dish.
Clean and trim the vegetables. Brown the bacon with the onion. Throw everything in the pot and let it boil. Done!
I’ve made this with red and russet potatoes. Both potatoes work well, it’s your preference. I usually don’t measure anything for this dish I just chop and dump. You want the liquid to cover the vegetables and season well. That’s it!
I leave the bacon in the pot but some people remove it to paper towels and sprinkle it on top when served.
- 2-3 lbs. fresh green beans, washed, trimmed and strings removed.
- 3-4 slices bacon chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic (I use one crushed clove)
- 2-3 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 9-10 small red potatoes (if your potatoes are large cut them in half)
- In a large pot brown the bacon.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduced heat and boil until potatoes are tender,about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust to your preference.