Southern yellow squash casserole is a go-to side dish for any meal. Put that summer squash to use in this delicious recipe. Creamy, cheesy, easy and crazy good! Even my husband who doesn’t like squash loves this dish. It’s sure to please all diners at the table.
Southern Yellow Squash Casserole
Saute the onions and squash in the butter until tender. Season generously with salt and pepper. I personally think you almost can’t add too much pepper to squash. Once the squash is tender add in the garlic, saute another 2-3 minutes.
Mix the sour cream, cream of celery soup, cheese, additional salt, and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Place the cooked squash in a large bowl, stir in the cream mixture. Pour the squash mixture into a greased casserole dish. Stir the butter into the stuffing mix and spread evenly over the top.
Bake and serve. This dish is crazy delicious! We think it’s even better the next day.
Creamy, cheesy goodness right there on your plate!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds yellow summer squash (about 6 medium), sliced into ½ inch chunks
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 10.5oz can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1½ cups herb stuffing mix
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large skillet oven over medium heat. Add the butter. Once the butter is melted add the sliced squash, onions and season generously with salt and pepper, sauté for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Or until the squash is tender. Stir in the minced garlic and saute another 2-3 minutes.
- Grease a casserole dish with butter or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Transfer the cooked squash to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix the sour cream, soup, cheese, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour the cream mixture into the squash and mix until well combined.
- In another small bowl, mix the herb stuffing with the melted butter.
- Spoon the stuffing evenly over the top of the squash mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy.
More Summer Dishes
Recipe inspired by FiveHeartHome