Vegetable dumpling soup for the vegan and/or vegetarian in your life. It’s surprisingly full of delicious flavor and absolutely screams comfort food. This soup is cheap, easy and delightfully filling. If my 14-year-old can make this then so can you! That simple.
Prepare the dumpling dough and set aside to rest.
Prep the vegetables. I always add the celery leaves, it adds so much flavor! Don’t throw them away…ever.
Saute the onions for about 4 minutes.
Add the carrots and celery saute for about 5 minutes. Toss in the spices, saute for 2 minutes to release their flavors. Add stock and boil until carrots are almost done, about 10 minutes.
Add the potatoes , cover and boil for about 10 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through. Start dropping the dumpling dough in by the teaspoon. Remove from heat and add fresh parsley. Serve and devour!
Hearty, healthy, full of vegetables and flavor!
- For the dumplings:
- 5 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- For the soup:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks with leaves, sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 potatoes, diced into ½ inch pieces
- 1-1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Prepare the dumpling dough by combining the flour with salt, add water and stir. Add oil and stir again. Set aside until the soup is ready.
- Heat a thick-bottomed pot.
- Add oil and chopped onions. Saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery,and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, black pepper, garlic and dried dill. Stir and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and salt, cover and bring to a boil, cook until the carrots are slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, cover and cook until fork-tender, about 10 minutes
- Add the dumplings a teaspoon at a time by carefully sliding them into the boiling soup. Continue, until you finish the dough. When all the dumplings are added, cover the pot with a lid and boil gently for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the chopped parsley, taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe inspired by Vegansandra