This vegetarian chili is so good even the biggest meat eater is a fan. Perfect for the Meatless Monday menu or any day of the week. It’s easy and cooks in about 40 minutes. No one will miss the beef, I promise!
You saute onions, garlic and spices. Throw in the beans, tomatoes and vegetable broth then let cook for 30 minutes.
It’s so quick and easy I forgot to take prep photos. Please forgive me. I don’t think you will need them to prepare this recipe anyway.
- 2 (15oz.) cans black beans (1 drained, 1 undrained)
- 1 (15oz) can of kidney beans (drained)
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Drain and rinse 1 can black beans and 1 can kidney beans. (Do not drain third can.)
- Saute onion in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and saute another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder, ground cumin, red pepper flakes, pepper and salt; saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, drained and undrained beans, and 2 cups vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chili with desired toppings.
Recipe adapted from MyRecipes