Wild rice and mushroom soup that’s sure to please everyone at your dinner table. A creamy, rich, hearty soup that’s full of deep earthy flavors. No one will ever know it’s vegetarian! Perfect for staying warm this winter.
Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots. Saute until soft about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Saute another minute.
Add the mushrooms and cook until they are slightly brown and released their liquids, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and cook stirring continuously for 2-3 minutes, to cook the flour taste out. Add the wine, scraping the bottom, bring it back to a simmer until it thickens.
Add the wild rice and vegetable broth, bring back to a boil and cook for 45 minutes or until the wild rice starts to burst.
Stir in the heavy cream, cover and simmer gently for another 5 minutes.
Serve with a warm, crusty loaf of earthy brown bread and enjoy!
A meatless meal everyone will enjoy. You all know I have to try to please my vegetarian daughter and meat eating husband. This soup did the trick.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots. Saute until soft, about 8–10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper saute for another minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they start to turn brown and have released a lot of their liquids, about 12–15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, stirring continuously cook for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the white wine, stir and cook for a few minutes, until it's bubbly and thick.
- Add the wild rice and vegetable broth, bring back to a boil.
- Simmer for 45 minutes or until wild rice starts to burst.
- Stir in the heavy cream, cover and cook gently for another 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper.
More Delicious Recipes